Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Nov-15, Laurenz Albe wrote:

> This new option would not only mitigate the long shared_buffers scan,
> it would also get rid of the replication conflict caused by the
> AccessExclusiveLock taken during truncation, which is discussed in
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/c9374921e50a5e8fb1ecf04eb8c6ebc3%40postgrespro.ru
> and seems to be a more difficult problem than anticipated.

FWIW I was just reminded yesterday that the AEL-for-truncation has been
diagnosed to be a severe problem in production, and with no other
solution in sight, I propose to move forward with the stop-gap.