Re: Should pg 11 use a lot more memory building an spgist index? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Should pg 11 use a lot more memory building an spgist index?
Date
Re: Should pg 11 use a lot more memory building an spgist index?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On 2018-Oct-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> After a quick look around, I think that making systable_begin/endscan
> do this is a nonstarter; there are just too many call sites that would
> be affected.  Now, you could imagine specifying that indexes on system
> catalogs (in practice, only btree) have to clean up at endscan time
> but other index types don't, so that only operations that might be
> scanning user indexes need to have suitable wrapping contexts.  Not sure
> there's a lot of benefit to that, though.

How about modifying SysScanDescData to have a memory context member,
which is created by systable_beginscan and destroyed by endscan?