Re: Log timestamps at higher resolution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Log timestamps at higher resolution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Oct-24, David Fetter wrote:

> For another, having separate letter rather than number modifiers as
> printf("%03d") does, is just lousy API design.

I don't think the API is lousy as all that, but a further improvement to
allow a precision specifier might be a worthy feature addition -- say
%.6t or such (where %m would have the same meaning as %.3t).

> Baroque is OK for music if you're in the mood,

Haha!

> I suspect that as things Cloud™ (a.k.a. Renting Other People's Data
> Centers) get even more popular, we'll want to improve our logging
> game, and that will sooner rather than later have features complicated
> enough to be worth testing.

Improved logging is already a sore need we have, regardless of weather
conditions.