Re: Log timestamps at higher resolution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Log timestamps at higher resolution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2018-Oct-24, David Fetter wrote:
>> For another, having separate letter rather than number modifiers as
>> printf("%03d") does, is just lousy API design.

> I don't think the API is lousy as all that, but a further improvement to
> allow a precision specifier might be a worthy feature addition -- say
> %.6t or such (where %m would have the same meaning as %.3t).

+1.  I think the patch as it stands is way too influenced by the purely
chance factor that "milli" and "micro" have the same initial letter in
English.  David would never have submitted it in this form if that weren't
true; but that doesn't make either resolution the right answer for
everyone.  And I do not want to have this discussion again in ten years
when somebody starts moaning that microsecond resolution is so last
century.  Let's put in a number so that the format-string API can stay the
same as the required resolution moves.