Re: Should pg 11 use a lot more memory building an spgist index? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Should pg 11 use a lot more memory building an spgist index?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 09:33:48 +0100,
  Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> writes:
>> While reloading a database cluster to move from 10.5 to 11, I'm getting
>> out of memory crashes that I did see when doing reloads on pg 10.
>> The statement flagged in the log is this:
>> 2018-10-23 16:44:34.815 CDT [126839] STATEMENT:  ALTER TABLE ONLY public.iplocation
>>         ADD CONSTRAINT overlap EXCLUDE USING spgist (network WITH &&);
>
>Hm, there's a fair amount of new code in SP-GIST in v11, so maybe you've
>hit a memory leak in that.  Can you create a self-contained test case?

I'll try. I think I should only need the geolite data to cause the problem
and I can share that publicly. So far the problem seems to be happening
consistently. I'll work on this at the office, but probably won't get it
done until the afternoon.

If I have a substantial database dump file to provide for reproducing this
do you prefer it on a web server somewhere? I expect that mailing very
large attachments to the lists is a bad idea.