Re: Oracle vs PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Oracle vs PG
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 07:31:57AM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> I have seen people use savepoints in PostgreSQL to emulate Oracle's
> "statement rollback" behavior: If a statement fails, only the statement
> is undone, but the transaction continues.
>
> If you insert a savepoint before *every* statement in a transaction,
> you can get a similar behavior in PostgreSQL, but the performance will
> suck.

The Postgres ODBC driver actually does that, and I have seen
applications actually ready to pay the cost of extra round trips to the
server to be able to get this property, even if that costs performance.
You can issue a query through the driver and rollback at will this way
to the previous state of the transaction.
--
Michael

Attachment