Re: pgsql: Avoid duplicate XIDs at recovery when building initialsnapshot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgsql: Avoid duplicate XIDs at recovery when building initialsnapshot
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Oct-14, Andres Freund wrote:

> > Avoid duplicate XIDs at recovery when building initial snapshot

> I'm unhappy this approach was taken over objections. Without a real
> warning.   Even leaving the crummyness aside, did you check other users
> of XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS, e.g. logical decoding?

Mumble.  Is there a real problem here -- I mean, did this break logical
decoding?  Maybe we need some more tests to ensure this stuff works
sanely for logical decoding.

FWIW and not directly related, I recently became aware (because of a
customer question) that txid_current_snapshot() is oblivious of
XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS in a standby.  AFAICS it's not a really serious
concern, but it was surprising.