Re: fine tune v11 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: fine tune v11 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 03:38:39PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 04:34:07PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for putting this together. I reviewed, broke it up into two
> > > patches, and made some additions / changes / deletions. Please see
> > > attached patches.
> >
> > Hmm, I just saw this after spending an afternoon editing the release
> > notes.  I'll try to merge it with what I did.
>
> I had some more local changes too...I'll try to send an patch relative to my
> original.  I'm sure Jonathan already caught most of the errors anyway.

I'm attaching two patches.  They're redundant ; choose one.

1) fine-tune-jonathan-justin.patch: To be applied on top of Jonathan's patch to
release notes.  I believe he dropped a few of my changes, but I don't know
offhand which, so some of my changes should perhaps be removed.

I think at least these two additional hunks are important:
-         B-tree indexes can now be built in parallel with
+         A B-tree index can now be built in parallel with

=> avoid confusion between "parallel" and "simultaneous".

-        Allow <literal>UNIQUE</literal> indexes on partitioned tables if
-        the partition key guarantees uniqueness (Álvaro Herrera,
+        Allow <literal>UNIQUE</literal> indexes on partitioned tables when
+        the partition key is included in the index key (Álvaro Herrera,

=> Needed for correctness IMHO.

2) fine-tune-v2.patch: relative to my original.  Should be self explanatory.

Feel free to send your own patch and I'll resolve conflicts and resend proposed
changes.

Justin

Attachment