Re: BUG #15429: psql requires '-h localhost' to run basic commands - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: BUG #15429: psql requires '-h localhost' to run basic commands
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Re: PG Bug reporting form 2018-10-12 <15429-288b7c42f9d8be13@postgresql.org>
> We've encountered an issue where psql requires "-h localhost" to run any
> commands on PostgreSQL 10.5 machine.
>
> $ psql --version
> Error: Invalid data directory for cluster 10 main
> $ psql -h localhost --version
> psql (PostgreSQL) 10.5 (Ubuntu 10.5-1.pgdg14.04+1)
>
> The issue is resolved by adding world-read access to postgresql.conf to
> allow psql to read "data_directory", but this is something we've never had
> to do with previous postgres versions.

Hi,

this is not a PostgreSQL problem, but in postgresql-common, which is
specific to Debian and Ubuntu.

We should probably demote that message to a warning.

Christoph