Re: Privilege mess? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thiemo Kellner
Subject Re: Privilege mess?
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>:

> Schema privileges.
> provileges. I'd guess you miss USAGE on schema logger.

Thanks for the hint. I did not know about a usage grant coming from
Oracle, so I completely ignored the possibility of the absence of a
different grant. I just read the documentation but I cannot get grip
on the sense behind it:

'For schemas, ... this allows the grantee to “look up” objects within
the schema. Without this permission, it is still possible to see the
object names, e.g. by querying the system tables.'

Does it not say you do not need the usage privilege as you can query
the data catalog anyway to get the object's details? And in deed,
DBeaver queries the details of the object without the usage privilege.

To carry out actions on objects one needs the specific grant like
select anyway. I do not see the point of usage privilege.

I would be grateful I some could shed some more light for me.

Kind regards Thiemo