Re: Assertion failure with ALTER TABLE ATTACH PARTITION withlog_min_messages >= DEBUG1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Assertion failure with ALTER TABLE ATTACH PARTITION withlog_min_messages >= DEBUG1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Oct-06, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2018 at 12:41:29PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On 2018-Oct-05, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >> Looking at the stack trace there is this log in
> >> validateForeignKeyConstraint:
> >> ereport(DEBUG1,
> >>         (errmsg("validating foreign key constraint \"%s\"", conname)));
> >>
> >> However conname is set to NULL in this code path.
> >
> > Ouch.  Thanks for catching this one.  I think the "this is all we need"
> > comment is just asking for trouble :-(
>
> Would you reformulate it?  Like, say, if new fields are needed perhaps
> we could just say instead "XXX: make sure to update the list of fields
> copied if a new partition-relation command needs it."

Well, I think partially filling the struct is bad style.  I'm going to
be messing with that shortly anyway, when adding support for FKs
pointing to partitioned tables; maybe just leave it as is for now and
I'll see about that later.

> >> From what I can see the problem comes from CloneForeignKeyConstraint
> >> which forgets to assign the constraint name when cloning the FK
> >> definition.  While looking at the ATTACH PARTITION code, I have noticed
> >> that a variable gets overridden, which is in my opinion bad style.
> >
> > Ugh, yeah that looks bad.  I wish the compiler would warn about this :-(
>
> Do you want me to take care of this one?  On this issue, I am way more
> confident than the other thread for event triggers as I spent quite some
> time on it.

Please feel free if you have the time, thanks.