PostgreSQL intenal scheduler? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thiemo Kellner
Subject PostgreSQL intenal scheduler?
Date
Re: PostgreSQL intenal scheduler?  (Tim Clarke <tim.clarke@minerva-analytics.info>)
Re: PostgreSQL intenal scheduler?  (Jeremy Finzel <finzelj@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all

I am designing a framework for historisation implementation (SCD). One
feature I would like to provide is a table in that the actual state of
an entity is put and if this is complete, this history table is
"updated":

       ------------         -------------
==>  | ENTITY_ACT |  ==>  | ENTITY_HIST |
       ------------         -------------

I plan to use instead-of-triggers on the hist table that read the
actual table and perfoms all necessary inserts und updates on the
history table. If I want the termination of a record version (actually
the record of a specific business key with a specific payload) to get
propagated up and/or down referential integrities (no overlapping
validities) I have to make sure that only one of those processes is
modifying a table. I was thinking of a scheduler queue where the
trigger would put a process request and PostgreSQL would work through.
Is there a scheduler within PostgreSQL? I read the documentation and
searched the web but could not find a hint. But before going another
road or implementing something myself, I ask. Maybe this design is no
good at all.

Kind regards

Thiemo