Re: some pg_dump query code simplification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: some pg_dump query code simplification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 08/28/2018 06:10 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >>Andrew has a buildfarm module that does precisely that, although
> >>I'm not sure what its test dataset is --- probably the regression
> >>database from each branch.  I also have a habit of doing such testing
> >>manually whenever I touch version-sensitive parts of pg_dump.
> >I've gotten better about doing that back-branch testing myself and
> >certainly prefer it, but I think we should also have buildfarm coverage.
> >I don't think we have the full matrix covered, or, really, anything
> >anywhere near it, so I'm looking for other options to at least get that
> >code exercised.
>
> If by matrix you mean the version matrix, then the module in question covers
> every live branch as the source and every same or later live branch as the
> destination.

That's certainly better than I had thought it did.

> It could conceivably cover older branches as well - the branch names aren't
> actually hardcoded - I'd just have to be able to build them and do a
> standard buildfarm run once.

Having it cover older branches really is pretty important given how much
code there is for those older branches in pg_dump.  I've had pretty good
success compiling back down to about 7.2, as I recall, using patches
that Greg Stark made available.  Older is probably possible too.
Getting everything we claim to support covered would be fantastic (which
I believe is basically 9.6/9.5/9.4/9.3 against 7.0 and up, and
master/11/10 against 8.0 and up).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment