Re: Restore relhaspkey in PostgreSQL Version 11 Beta - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Restore relhaspkey in PostgreSQL Version 11 Beta
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2018-07-30 17:21:25 -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:
> * >it has never been the case that relhaspkey meant that the table
> *currently* has a primary key. *

> *Hmmm, I guess it's a lot harder to fix "squishy semantics"from      "True
> if the table has (or once had) a primary key"  to    "True if the table has
> a primary key after vacuum"rather than just dropping a column that has
> existed from version 7.2.So now I guess the policy is break code instead of
> fix documention.That meakes sense...NOT!*

A large portion of the system catalogs (i.e. objects within
pg_catalog.*) are essentially internal implementation details and we'll
change them if it makes our live easier. If you want stability use
information_schema which we'll try very hard to not ever break.  Keeping
random atavistic things around, would slow us down, which will be a
price everybody is paying.

Greetings,

Andres Freund