Re: automatic restore point - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: automatic restore point
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 01:07:41AM +0000, Yotsunaga, Naoki wrote:
>> There is also recovery_target_lsn which is new as of v10.
>  In this method, it is necessary to look at a lsn position before operating.
>  But I assume the user who did not look it before operating.
>  So I think that this method is not appropriate.

You should avoid top-posting on the mailing lists, this breaks the
consistency of the thread.

>> So basically what you are looking for here is a way to enforce a
>> restore point to be created depending on a set of pre-defined
>> conditions?  How would you define and choose those?
>
> I understand that I was asked how to set up a command to apply this function.
>  Ex) DROP = on
>      TRUNCATE = off
>  Is my interpretation right?
>  If my interpretation is correct, all the above commands will be
>  applied.
>  When this function is turned on, this function works when all the
>  above commands are executed.

Yeah, but based on which factors are you able to define that such
conditions are enough to say that this feature is fully-compliant with
user's need, and how can you be sure that this is not going to result in
an additional maintenance burden if you need to define a new set of
conditions in the future.  For example an operator has issued a costly
ALTER TABLE which causes a full table rewrite, which could be also an
operation that you would like to prevent.  Having a set of GUCs which
define such low-level behavior is not really user-friendly.
--
Michael

Attachment