Re: Should contrib modules install .h files? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Should contrib modules install .h files?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-07-01 19:23:03 +0100, Andrew Gierth wrote:
> So I have this immediate problem: a PGXS build of a module, specifically
> an hstore transform for a non-core PL, is much harder than it should be
> because it has no way to get at hstore.h since that file is never
> installed anywhere.
>
> Should that be changed?

I've hit this before, and the more capable our extension framework and
more complex individual extensions get, the more we'll hit this. One
question is where to install them - the extensions with headers often
just have them in the source code itself, which isn't a great
solution. contrib/$extension/ or $extension/ both seems ok, but i'd be
somewhat against just $extension.h

Greetings,

Andres Freund