Re: using pg_basebackup for point in time recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: using pg_basebackup for point in time recovery
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 12:51:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> FYI, in recent discussions on the docs list:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEyumGh3r05U3_mhRrEU=dfacdRr2HEw140MvN7FSBMSyw@mail.gmail.com

I did not recall this one.  Thanks for the reminder, Bruce.

> There was the conclusion that:
>
>     If it's a clean backpatch I'd say it is -- people who are using
>     PostgreSQL 9.6 will be reading the documentation for 9.6 etc, so they
>     will not know about the fix then.
>
>     If it's not a clean backpatch I can certainly see considering it, but if
>     it's not a lot of effort then I'd say it's definitely worth it.
>
> so the rule I have been using for backpatching doc stuff has changed
> recently.

In the case of this thread, I think that the patch applies cleanly
anyway as this comes from the period where hot standbys have been
introduced.  So that would not be a lot of work...  Speaking of which,
it would be nice to be sure about the wording folks here would prefer
using before fixing anything ;p
--
Michael

Attachment