Re: Trying to understand odd trigger behavior - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Trying to understand odd trigger behavior
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 23:04:24 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

>I have a perl after insert trigger for a table with a non-null column
>element and I am getting an occasional error when the trigger executes
>for printing a null value which is $TD->{new}{element}. However, I do
>the insert with an on conflict that converts it into an update. And I
>have a before update trigger that blocks changing the record, but
>returns null if the old and new records are the same.

I think I misunderstood the error I was getting. I don't think the value
being printed is null, but rather the socket instance I am trying to
print to. I haven't tested this yet, but it makes sense and my other theory
didn't match later evidence.