Re: Cache lookup errors with functions manipulation object addresses - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Cache lookup errors with functions manipulation object addresses
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-May-15, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 04:27:48PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I think we're better off adding a new function and avoid changing the
> > signature of GetForeignServer et al.  Or maybe rename the function and
> > keep the original name as a compatibility wrapper macro.
>
> On the other hand, if we make the change visible because of a
> compilation failures, then modules would become aware of the problem and
> react?

Presumably, if you invoke a FDW and its handler finds
that the ForeignServer doesn't exist, what is it to do other than raise
an error?  I can't see that there's any possible improvement.

So, I don't know -- if the reaction is to add a #ifdef for pg version
that adds a second argument passed always false, then we haven't won
anything.

> I would not expect modules to set missing_ok to true anyway as they
> expect those objects to exist, so I can live with a new function.

Exactly.

> What about naming those GetForeignServerExtended and
> GetForeignDataWrapperExtended?

WFM.