Re: the postgres process is not killed when the postmaster is killed - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: the postgres process is not killed when the postmaster is killed
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 08:34:46AM +0000, 范国腾 wrote:
> If the process 2268 is still alive, pg_ctl start and pg_ctl stop will fail.
>
> Is it a bug? What should I configure if I want all of the subprocess are killed?

That's not a bug.  On SIGKILL the postmaster does not send down the
message to its subprocesses.  Note as well that shared memory is not
released as well, so you may need to kill any extra orphan process
remaining alive after the postmaster is down, so that's not a
recommended way to stop the instance.
--
Michael

Attachment