Re: [BUG] Re-entering malloc problem when use --enable-nls buildpostgresql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [BUG] Re-entering malloc problem when use --enable-nls buildpostgresql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2018-05-08 18:04:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Well, the question is if that'd ever have us defer killing the process
> > for longer. quickdie is intended to actually die quickly.
>
> Yeah.  Though now that we have the postmaster mechanism to wait-five-
> seconds-then-SIGKILL, maybe we could rethink that requirement?  If we
> reimplemented SIGQUIT to work more like SIGTERM, it would surely be
> a lot safer.  There would be cases where a stuck backend wouldn't
> respond and it'd eventually get SIGKILL'd, but in return we'd get rid
> of problems like this one.

Right now we intentionally do not accept interrupts in a couple places
where we want to die quickly because we're making persistent changes. I
don't think it'd be good to continue e.g. committing any longer than
possible after one process segfaulted.  One counter-argument to that is
that the timing right now is far from synchronous either.

Greetings,

Andres Freund