Re: postgres encryption - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gary Stainburn
Subject Re: postgres encryption
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thursday 22 March 2018 07:11:13 dbx postgres wrote:
> Hello Admins,
> I have a table in which one of the password column is encrypted. Is there a
> way I can decrypt or know what encryption type was used on the column to
> decrypt this password. I tried overriding this password with a new value
> but that value is being stored as plain text ad not encrypted.  So my
> authentication is failing. How can i override this password ?
>
> Thanks in advance !

Hi

Purely a guess, but if you store a plain text and it appears in the table as
plain text, then the encryption is done at application level.

In order to work out what type of encryption is used, and *if* it can be
decrypted you would have to look at that program.