Re: public schema default ACL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: public schema default ACL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 02:31:58AM -0800, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 03/03/2018 01:56 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
> > If we do that alone, databases reaching v11 via dump/reload or pg_upgrade will
> > get the new default ACL if they had not changed the ACL of schema public.  If
> > they had GRANTed or REVOKEd on schema public, pg_dump will recreate the
> > resulting ACL.  This is the standard pg_dump behavior for ACLs on system
> > objects.  I think that's okay for the public schema, too, and I like
> > preserving that usual rule.  However, if we wanted to minimize upgrade-time
> > surprises, we could make pg_dump include GRANT for schema public
> > unconditionally.  That way, the default ACL change would apply to new
> > databases only.  Does anyone want to argue for that?
>
> What about a pg_dump option to do that and then a big note in the
> release notes telling people why they might want to use it?

I'd want any new pg_dump option to have use beyond this one case.  That is,
not --old-public-schema-acl, but perhaps --old-system-acls-for=OBJECT-PATTERN.
But it's a simple task to loop over your databases and run a GRANT, so I
somewhat doubt that particular idea should win.  Hmm.