Re: perltidy version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: perltidy version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> For example, Debian ships with 20140328, which produces the attached diff.
> I'm not sure if we want to go to whatever is a "common version on most
> platforms" today, or just "whatever is latest" if we do upgrade. AFAICT
> RHEL 7 seems to be on 20121207, RHEL 6 on 20090616. And in Ubuntu, 14.04
> has 20120701, 16.04 has 20140328, and current devel has 20140328. In
> general there seems to be very little overlap there, except Debian and
> Ubuntu covers the same versions.

here's the changelog
https://metacpan.org/source/SHANCOCK/Perl-Tidy-20180220/CHANGES

The wikipedia page claims that the latest stable release is 20160302,
but that seems to be just because the page is out of date (last update
is before the following 2017-05 release)

It's hard to form an opinion based on this.  I don't think picking one
because of its availability in some distribution is useful, since almost
everyone is going to have to download a custom one anyway, whichever
distribution we pick -- unless it's mine, of course, hah.

I think we should just pick some recent one and use it for X years; use
that one for all backbranches.  I propose X=3.  I propose 20170521
(newer ones seem to cater for stuff that I think we mostly don't use).