Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I just thought of an inconsistency.  First, we now consistently exit with
'exit', 'quit', and '\q' if used in an empty psql query buffer.  Also, we now
hint when 'exit' and 'quit' are used in non-empty query buffers:

    test=> SELECT
    test-> exit
-->    Use \q to quit.

We obviously don't need to hint for '\q' since it works in this context.

Where it is odd is that we hint for 'exit' and 'quit' in places that
'\q' doesn't work, but we don't hint for '\q' in the same contexts.
Here is the hint for 'exit' and 'quit':

    test=> SELECT '
    test'> exit
-->    Use control-D to quit.

but we don't hint for '\q':

    test=> SELECT '
    test'> \q
-->    test'>

Should we give the same "Use control-D to quit." hint here for '\q'?
I think it is logical that we should.