Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ildus Kurbangaliev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:03:20 +0300
Ildar Musin <i.musin@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

Thanks for review!

> As you see, compression option is copied anyway. I suggest adding new
> INCLUDING COMPRESSION option to enable user to explicitly specify
> whether they want or not to copy compression settings.

Good catch, i missed INCLUDE options for LIKE command. Added INCLUDING
COMPRESSION as you suggested.

> I found a few phrases in documentation that can be improved. But the
> documentation should be checked by a native speaker.
>
> In compression-am.sgml:
> "an compression access method" -> "a compression access method"
> "compression method method" -> "compression method"
> "compability" -> "compatibility"
> Probably "local-backend cached state" would be better to replace with
> "per backend cached state"?
> "Useful to store the parsed view of the compression options" -> "It
> could be useful for example to cache compression options"
> "and stores result of" -> "and stores the result of"
> "Called when CompressionAmOptions is creating." -> "Called when
> <structname>CompressionAmOptions</structname> is being initialized"
>
> "Note that in any system cache invalidation related with
> pg_attr_compression relation the options will be cleaned" -> "Note
> that any <literal>pg_attr_compression</literal> relation invalidation
> will cause all the cached <literal>acstate</literal> options cleared."
> "Function used to ..." -> "Function is used to ..."
>
> I think it would be nice to mention custom compression methods in
> storage.sgml. At this moment it only mentions built-in pglz
> compression.

I agree, the documentation would require a native speaker. Fixed the
lines you mentioned.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev