Re: [HACKERS] pg_serial early wraparound - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_serial early wraparound
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Thomas Munro (thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Thomas Munro
> > <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> > I've now complained about that comment in a separate thread.
> >
> >> It's not urgent, it's just cleanup work, so I've now moved it to the
> >> next commitfest.  I will try to figure out a new way to demonstrate
> >> that it works correctly without having to ask a review[er] to disable
> >> any assertions.  Thanks again.
>
> Rebased again, now with a commit message.  That assertion has since
> been removed (commit ec99dd5a) so the attached test script can once
> again be used to see the contents of pg_serial as the xid goes all the
> way around, if you build with TEST_OLDSERXID defined so that
> predicate.c forces information about xids out to pg_serial.

I've taken a look through this and it seems pretty reasonable.  Would be
great to have someone actually try to duplicate the testing that Thomas
did (though I have little doubt that it works as described) and get it
to Ready-For-Committer state.

Anastasia, thanks for the previous review, any chance you could try
again with the latest patch (against the current state of git)?

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment