Re: Query is slow when run for first time; subsequent execution isfast - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Query is slow when run for first time; subsequent execution isfast
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 09:18:25PM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Oh.  I've not seen that before.  But then again I don't often restart my
> server and then immediately run very large queries with a stringent time
> deadline.
>
> You can try pg_prewarm, on pg_statistic table and its index.  But I'd
> probably just put an entry in my db startup script to run this query
> immediately after startng the server, and let the query warm the cache
> itself.
>
> Why do you restart your database often enough for this to be an issue?

Another thing that you could use here is pg_buffercache which offers a
way to look at the Postgres shared buffer contents in real-time:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgbuffercache.html

As Jeff says, pg_prewarm is a good tool for such cases to avoid any kind
of warmup period when a server starts..
--
Michael

Attachment