Re: heads up: Fix for intel hardware bug will lead to performanceregressions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: heads up: Fix for intel hardware bug will lead to performanceregressions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-01-08 14:38:20 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Just an idea, not sure if it's worth looking into; maybe we already
> spend enough time filling those buffers that a 50% syscall markup
> won't hurt.

Yea, I suspect that won't make a huge difference - copying an 8kb buffer
is typically a lot more than the overhead.  The big problem for the
demonstrated slowness is really that we send a lot of tiny packets back
and forth and wait for them, and that's obviously going to be
performance sensitive to syscall speed.  Pipelining helps a lot, but
isn't that generally applicable...  TBH, I don't really see that much we
can do from our side for readonly OLTP with prepared statements.

Greetings,

Andres Freund