Re: UPDATING and DELETING sub-classes - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UPDATING and DELETING sub-classes
Date
List pgsql-novice
Ami Ganguli <ami@ganguli.com> writes:
> I'm trying to use the DELETE and UPDATE commands to update both the parent
> class (which is specfied in the query) and the sub-classes.  According to the
> documentation the default behaviour is to include sub-classes and that's
> exactly what I want.  Unfortunately it doesn't work:

It sounds like you are reading the documentation on the website.
Unfortunately those pages are a snapshot of docs for current development
sources, not the prior release.  It happens that this is an area Chris
Bitmead has been changing recently --- 7.0.* and prior versions do NOT
behave that way.  AFAIK, delete/update don't work on subclasses at all
in 7.0.*.  The docs used to claim that "DELETE FROM parent*", etc,
was the way to do it, but that never worked.  You'll have to wait for
7.1 (or try current snapshot if you're brave).  Sorry.

            regards, tom lane