Re: Deadlock in multiple CIC. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Deadlock in multiple CIC.
Date
Re: Deadlock in multiple CIC.  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Janes wrote:
> c3d09b3bd23f5f6 fixed it so concurrent CIC would not deadlock (or at least
> not as reliably as before) by dropping its own snapshot before waiting for
> all the other ones to go away.
>
> With commit 8aa3e47510b969354ea02a, concurrent CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY on
> different tables in the same database started deadlocking against each
> other again quite reliably.
>
> I think the solution is simply to drop the catalog snapshot as well, as in
> the attached.

Thanks for the analysis -- it sounds reasonable to me.  However, I'm
wondering why you used the *Conditionally() version instead of plain
InvalidateCatalogSnapshot().  I think they must have the same effect in
practice (the assumption being that you can't run CIC in a transaction
that may have other snapshots) but the theory seems simpler when calling
the other routine: just do away with the snapshot always, period.

This is back-patchable to 9.4, first branch which has MVCC catalog
scans.  It's strange that this has gone undetected for so long.  I
wonder if there's an interaction with logical decoding and its
historical snapshot stuff here.  I pinged Jeremy on the other thread
about your fix.