Re: PostgreSQL suitable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: PostgreSQL suitable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings Rakesh,

* Rakesh Kumar (rakeshkumar464@mail.com) wrote:

> > There are multiple solutions to doing incremental backups with
> > PostgreSQL, so I'm not sure why you're saying that they don't exist,
> > because that's really not accurate.
>
> PG's incremental backup is essentially WAL logs applied to a point in time.  I am talking about true incremental
backupwhere the db backs up only the changed blocks after the last full backup.  In a DW system where most of the time
itis append only, it makes a huge difference in backup time.

> I believe there is one tool which looks at mtime/atime of each of the data file and takes the decision to back it up
orlot.  Not sure how robust it is.

Yes, there are multiple such solutions including pgBackRest and barman,
both of which are robust, well supported projects that provide exactly
the incremental backup capability you're asking about.  I can't speak
for barman, but I know that there are many people using pgBackRest
to do incremental backups, some on very large PG databases.

I will point out that supporting incremental backups is tricky to do
correctly, which is why using an existing project that's had years to
work on getting it right is really the best approach.  I wouldn't
recommend trying to roll your own.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment