Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 2017-11-16 21:58:14 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.
> > The isTemp flag controls whether buffile.c chops BufFile data up into
> > 1GB segments on disk.  Since it was badly named and always true, get
> > rid of it.
>
> [ squint... ]  That used to have an actual purpose connected to
> transaction-abort cleanup, IIRC.  It disturbs me that this seems
> to have been

I've not found any such use, searching through buffile.c's history. I
don't quite see how that flag could've been related to abort cleanup
stuff?  There's been another unused caller of makeBufFile, namely
BufFileCreate, that has been #ifdef'ed out for ages (perhaps we
should've removed that with this commit or a long time ago).  Other than
that there seems to not have been any other caller setting that flag
differently since you created the file in db3c4c3a2d980dcd.

Greetings,

Andres Freund