Re: Schedule for migration to pglister - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Schedule for migration to pglister
Date
Re: Schedule for migration to pglister  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Noah,

* Noah Misch (noah@leadboat.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 10:36:38AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Our planned migration schedule is as follows:
> >
> > Nov 6 -
> >   pgsql-www
> >
> > Nov 13 -
> >   pgsql-hackers
>
> When each list migrated, its mbox archives stopped receiving new messages:

This was actually anticipated, though we had been thinking that the
migration would be faster and so it wouldn't end up being such a long
time that the mbox's wouldn't get updated.

The plan is to replace those mbox's (which are created by mj2 and then
rsync'd over currently) with ones generated from the archives database,
but that's something which will basically happen to the entire site and
all the lists at once.

Further, there will actually be some differences between the
archive-generated mbox's vs. those that came from mj2; in particular,
the 'date' used by mj2 is the 'received' date (from what I can tell)
while the 'date' in the archives database is the 'Date:' header from
when the message is sent by the user.

That said, this will make the mbox's match the actual webpages, which
they don't currently because the webpages are built from the archive
database while the mbox's are from mj2.  In addition, while trying to
cross-compare the two, I think I'm seeing some cases where mj2 is just
outright dropping messages also (for example, I don't see

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170930224424.ud5ilchmclbl5y5n%40alap3.anarazel.de

anywhere in the mj2 mboxes..).

I'm chatting w/ Magnus about this now and I'm not sure exactly when
we'll end up making the change, but my feeling is that we should either
do it now, or on Monday when we migrate the 'user' lists.  Doesn't seem
to me like we should delay it any longer than that.

Thanks!

Stephen