Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Raphael Hertzog
Subject Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there
Date
In response to Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Michael,

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Raphaël, don't you have problems with pg_twophase as well? Wouldn't
> the new fsync call in CheckPointTwoPhase() fail equally if no 2PC
> transactions have happened in a checkpoint cycle? That would not be an
> issue with pg_commit_ts and pg_xact normally, but we are talking about
> checkpoints skipped or not depending on WAL activity, tracking which
> is more properly done in v10.

I don't know. It's quite possible, I have not used PostgreSQL 10
extensively in Kali... I rely on Kali users for this.

I just checked and the usual database initialization code does not trigger
any write to pg_twophase so if there's a new fsync() on that directory
without any prior write, it's quite possible that this could fail later
on during PostgreSQL's use.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer