Re: [HACKERS] Improve catcache/syscache performance. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Improve catcache/syscache performance.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-10-13 14:07:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> One idea might be to see if we can precalculate all the control data
> needed for the caches and set it up as compile-time constants,
> a la Gen_fmgrtab.pl, rather than reading it from the catalogs during
> startup.  That would make the code less dependent on initialization
> order rather than more so.

Hm. That sounds somewhat enticing. You're thinking of doing so for
catcaches alone, or something grander, including the relcaches? I'd
assume the former?

For catcaches the hardest part probably is that we need a TupleDesc. Per
type function lookups, oids, should be fairly easy in contrast.

Greetings,

Andres Freund