Re: [GENERAL] REASSIGN OWNED simply doesn't work - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [GENERAL] REASSIGN OWNED simply doesn't work
Date
List pgsql-general
Sam Gendler wrote:
> psql 9.6.3 on OS X.
>
> I'm dealing with a production database in which all db access has been made
> by the same user - the db owner, which isn't actually a superuser because
> the db runs on amazon RDS - amazon retains the superuser privilege for its
> own users and makes non-superuser role with createrole and createdb
> privileges for use as the primary role by the AWS account.

It's true that REASSIGN OWNED is limited to a very particular scenario.
It was written to support the specific case of wanting to drop a role,
and that can only be done by a superuser, so why would it matter that
REASSIGN OWNED itself could not be run by a superuser?

However, I do not apologize for not thinking about your particular
scenario.  I had my itch, and I scratched it; you have yours, yet you
complain that I did not scratch it in advance?

Feel free to submit a patch (or convince/hire someone to do it for you)
to add the new feature of allowing it to work without superuser privs.