Re: [GENERAL] Determine size of table before it's committed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Determine size of table before it's committed?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:43:26AM -0300, Seamus Abshere wrote:
> I've had an `INSERT INTO x SELECT FROM [...]` query running for more
> then 2 days.
>
> Is there a way to see how big x has gotten? Even a very rough estimate
> (off by a gigabyte) would be fine.

On linux:

Run ps -fu postgres (or SELECT pid, query FROM pg_stat_activity) and
look at: ls -l /proc/PID/fd

writing to XXXXXX.22 means it's written ~22GB.

You can also SELECT relfilenode FROM pg_class WHERE oid='x'::regclass (or
relname='x').

Or try using strace (but beware I've seen its interruption to syscalls change
the behavior of the program being straced).

Justin