Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend & revamp pg_bswap.h infrastructure. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend & revamp pg_bswap.h infrastructure.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 2017-09-30 12:17:06 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Extend & revamp pg_bswap.h infrastructure.
>
> Hm, what is the point of this in pg_bswap.h:
>
> +#ifdef _MSC_VER
> +#include <stdlib.h>
> +#endif
>
> c.h will already have included <stdlib.h>.  There might be some
> value in this if we anticipated allowing freestanding use of this
> header, but that won't happen because it depends on configure symbols.

Well, it's not that obvious where the _byteswap_* functions are coming
from on msvc. I guess we can just leave the comment
/* In all supported versions msvc provides _byteswap_* functions in stdlib.h */
there, but I see no harm in the current form either.

> but that won't happen because it depends on configure symbols.

FWIW, I've wondered about replacing the pg_config.h tests with explicit
gcc version checks. But doesn't seem worth it for now.

Greetings,

Andres Freund