Re: [HACKERS] Automatic testing of patches in commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Automatic testing of patches in commit fest
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Automatic testing of patches in commit fest
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Aleksander Alekseev <a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> > I've ended up with this script [1]. It just generates a list of patches
> > that are in "Needs Review" status but don't apply or don't compile. Here
> > is the current list:
>
> > === Apply Failed: 29 ===
> > https://commitfest.postgresql.org/14/1235/ (Support arrays over domain types)
>
> Can you clarify what went wrong for you on that one?  I went to rebase it,
> but I end up with the identical patch except for a few line-numbering
> variations.

I think "git apply" refuses to apply a patch if it doesn't apply
exactly.  So you could use "git apply -3" (which merges) or just plain
old "patch" and the patch would work fine.

If the criteria is that strict, I think we should relax it a bit to
avoid punting patches for pointless reasons.  IOW I think we should at
least try "git apply -3".

Also, at this point this should surely be just an experiment.