[BUGS] BUG #14718: unable to update table with identity column GENERATEDALWAYS - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From zam6ak@gmail.com
Subject [BUGS] BUG #14718: unable to update table with identity column GENERATEDALWAYS
Date
Re: [BUGS] BUG #14718: unable to update table with identity columnGENERATED ALWAYS  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      14718
Logged by:          zam6ak
Email address:      zam6ak@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 10beta1
Operating system:   Windows Server 2012 R2

I have downloaded a PG10 distro for Windows from BigSQL.

if I try to update table that uses identity column generated always, the
update fails...

If I switch to "generated by default" it works...

-- create tbl1
create table tbl1 ( id   bigint GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,    -- fails --id   bigint GENERATED BY
DEFAULTAS IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,  -- works name text   NOT NULL

);
-- add some  values
insert into tbl1 (name) values ('Tommy');
-- verify
select * from tbl1; -- 1;"Tommy"

-- now try to update
update tbl1 set name = 'Bobby' where id = 1;

ERROR:  column "id" can only be updated to DEFAULT
DETAIL:  Column "id" is an identity column defined as GENERATED ALWAYS.