[BUGS] BUG #14691: Isolation failure in deferrable transaction concurrentwith schema change - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From cpacejo@clearskydata.com
Subject [BUGS] BUG #14691: Isolation failure in deferrable transaction concurrentwith schema change
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      14691
Logged by:          Chris Pacejo
Email address:      cpacejo@clearskydata.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.7
Operating system:   CentOS 7

Hi, issuing a SERIALIZABLE DEFERRABLE READ ONLY read from a table to which a
column is being added results in an isolation failure.

Example 1:

Session A (setup):

me=> CREATE TABLE foo(x integer);
CREATE TABLE
me=> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (1), (2), (3);
INSERT 0 3

Session B (normal read):

me=> BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE; TABLE foo;
COMMIT;
BEGINx
---123
(3 rows)

COMMIT

Session A (add column but do not commit):

me=> BEGIN; ALTER TABLE foo ADD COLUMN y integer DEFAULT 0;
BEGIN
ALTER TABLE

Session B (stalled read):

me=> BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE; TABLE foo;
COMMIT;
BEGIN

Session A (commit added column):

me=> COMMIT;
COMMIT

Session B (stalled read returns empty table; a second read is again
correct):
x | y
---+---
(0 rows)

COMMIT
me=> BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE; TABLE foo;
COMMIT;
BEGINx | y
---+---1 | 02 | 03 | 0
(3 rows)

COMMIT

Example 2:

Session A (setup):

me=> CREATE TABLE foo(x integer);
CREATE TABLE
me=> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (1), (2), (3);
INSERT 0 3

Session B (normal read):

me=> BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE; TABLE foo;
COMMIT;
BEGINx
---123
(3 rows)

COMMIT

Session A (add column but do not commit):

me=> BEGIN; ALTER TABLE foo ADD COLUMN y integer; UPDATE foo SET y = 0;
BEGIN
ALTER TABLE
UPDATE 3

Session B (stalled read):

me=> BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE; TABLE foo;
COMMIT;
BEGIN

Session A (commit added column):

me=> COMMIT;
COMMIT

Session B (stalled read returns empty column; a second read is again
correct):
x | y
---+---1 |  2 |  3 |
(3 rows)

COMMIT
me=> BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE; TABLE foo;
COMMIT;
BEGINx | y
---+---1 | 02 | 03 | 0
(3 rows)

COMMIT

I would expect the "middle" result of each example (with missing data) not
to be visible at any isolation level.

This does not occur if the schema-modifying transaction is aborted, if a
column is deleted, with a view, or if a non-deferrable read transaction is
used.

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can give or if I
misunderstand the deferrable transaction mechanism.