Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May  4, 2017 at 06:02:58PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I can't see how this can be added to an existing BRIN entry, so it would
> > have to be new.  The text would be:
> >
> >     Improve accuracy in determining if a BRIN index scan is beneficial
> >
> > though this not something I would normally mention becuause most users
> > don't understand the optimizer choices and just assume it works.
>
> The problem is that previously it was possible for a BRIN index to be
> created, and cause some queries to choose it which were faster using
> some other index (a btree).  The point is that with this change it
> becomes more credible to create BRIN indexes without fear that such
> queries are going to slow down.
>
> Your proposed text sounds good to me.  Authors would be David Rowley and
> Emre Hasegeli.

OK, added, thanks:
       <listitem>        <!--
+        Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
+        2017-04-06 [7e534adcd] Fix BRIN cost estimation
+        <para>
+         Improve accuracy in determining if a <acronym>BRIN</> index scan
+         is beneficial (David Rowley, Emre Hasegeli)
+        </para>
+       </listitem>

http://enterprisedb.com