Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining
Date
Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 01:27:38PM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:31 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > Are you aware of such an ORM which both supports WITH and doesn't
> > also closely track PostgreSQL development?  I'm not.
> >
> > Even assuming that such a thing exists, it's not at all obvious to
> > me that we should be stalling and/or putting in what will turn out
> > to be misfeatures to accommodate it.
>
> I know SQLAlchemy does support CTEs, and lags quite considerably in
> its support of the latest syntactic elements.
>
> For instance, it took them 8 months to support the "skip locked"
> option.

That is pretty strictly their problem.

> Not sure whether that qualifies as "closely tracking" postgres for
> you. Clearly they do track it, but that doesn't mean they're fast or
> as fast as one would like/need.

We can NOT make their tardiness a driver of our development.

> Sure, that might not be enough to warrant the GUC. I would think so,
> those are my 2 cents. YMMV.

When we add a "temporary" GUC, we're taking on a gigantic burden.
Either we support it forever somehow, or we put it on a deprecation
schedule immediately and expect to be answering questions about it for
years after it's been removed.

-1 for the GUC.

Best,
David.