[BUGS] BUG #14636: pg_dumpall -d - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
Subject [BUGS] BUG #14636: pg_dumpall -d
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      14636
Logged by:          Adrian Klaver
Email address:      adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system:   Linux openSUSE Leap 42.2

Pulled the nightly build of Postgres 10:2017-04-30 20:30:26
Testing dump/restore from a 9.6 instance to the 10 instance. Tried dumping
the globals using pg_dumpall and connected using:
aklaver@tito:~> /usr/local/pgsql10/bin/pg_dumpall -g -d postgres -U postgres
-p 5432 -f production_globals.sql
pg_dumpall: missing "=" after "postgres" in connection info string

This not what I usually do and when I used -l it worked as expected. The bug
is that the docs say:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/app-pg-dumpall.html

"-d connstr
--dbname=connstr
   Specifies parameters used to connect to the server, as a connection
string. See Section 33.1.1 for more information.
   The option is called --dbname for consistency with other client
applications, but because pg_dumpall needs to connect to many databases,
database name in the connection string will be ignored. Use -l option to
specify the name of the database used to dump global objects and to discover
what other databases should be dumped.
"

Instead an error is raised.