Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-04-25 13:39:07 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Understood, but the question is whether the release notes are the right
> place to educate users of something that will no longer be a problem.

I think it's the *prime* place for it.  It obviously doesn't matter if
you're not affected by $performance_problem, but if you are affected,
then it's quite likely going to be important.  Deciding whether to
migrate to a new version will often be a decision about a *lot* of work,
so it'll not be made lightly, and without a motivator.

If we go by that logic, why are we listing parallelism? Why are we
listing new planner/executor features that lead to faster plans?  The
reason we do, is that they're addressing concerns that users had, which
they need to know about.

> I am happy to adjust things to whatever the community wants, but, on the
> other hand I have a responsibility to be consistent what what they have
> wanted in the past.

Why?

Greetings,

Andres Freund