Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Date
Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 01:37:13PM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:
> > I think it has been pretty common to accumulate a lot of such changes
> > into generic entries like, say, "speedups for hash joins".  More detail
> > than that simply isn't useful to end users; and as a rule, our release
> > notes are too long anyway.
>
> In that spirit, the truncation speedups it seems are missing:
>
> Might be summarized simply as:
>
> Vacuum truncation has been sped up for rotating media, sometimes
> considerably (up to five times in certain configurations).
>
> Full commit, for reference:
>
> commit 7e26e02eec90370dd222f35f00042f8188488ac4
> Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> Date:   Mon Jan 23 12:55:18 2017 -0300
>
>     Prefetch blocks during lazy vacuum's truncation scan
>
>     Vacuum truncation scan can be sped up on rotating media by prefetching
>     blocks in forward direction.  That makes the blocks already present in
>     memory by the time they are needed, while also letting OS read-ahead
>     kick in.
>
>     The truncate scan has been measured to be five times faster than without
>     this patch (that was on a slow disk, but it shouldn't hurt on fast
>     disks.)
>
>     Author: Álvaro Herrera, loosely based on a submission by Claudio Freire
> https://postgr.es/m/CAGTBQpa6NFGO_6g_y_7zQx8L9GcHDSQKYdo1tGuh791z6PYgEg@mail.gmail.com

I don't think this warrants inclusion in the release notes for reasons
already discussed.  The vacuum truncation operation is a rare one and
an implementation detail.

http://enterprisedb.com