Re: [HACKERS] some review comments on logical rep code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Subject Re: [HACKERS] some review comments on logical rep code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:11:06 +0900, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote in
<CAD21AoBAXRMBBaH5-mYXxksPaTis0xt_-yvvb2Y+jG2m-EWAoQ@mail.gmail.com>

<CAD21AoBU8mZdGx-sTJ3u+qkaej5RPnOuotW4kfeXc4XdDNF8cw@mail.gmail.com>

> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> I added this comment to the patch and attached it.
> >
> > The following "However" may need a follwoing comma.
> >
> >> However this is overkill for small gain and false wakeup of the
> >> launcher is not so harmful (probably we can live with that), so
> >> we do nothing here for this issue.
> >
> > I agree this as a whole. But I think that the main issue here is
> > not false wakeups, but 'possible delay of launching new workers
> > by 3 minutes at most'
>
> In what case does launching of the apply worker delay 3 minutes at most?

In the "while (!got_SIGTERM)" loop in ApplyLauncherMain, if we
tried to run enabled subscriptions but no subscription is
enabled, it waits for 3 minutes. If we turn on a subscription but
the trigger is consumed by the false wakeup, the loop sees no
enabled subscription and will sleep for 3 minutes unless any
other trigger comes.

# I haven't tried that, though.

regards,

--