Re: [HACKERS] A note about debugging TAP failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] A note about debugging TAP failures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-04-22 13:51:30 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think we need to fix TestLib and/or PostgresNode so that there's a way
> to make TAP tests not auto-clean their data directories at end of run,
> without having to resort to editing the script like this.

I think leaving the directory around in case of failures would be a
pretty bare minimum.  It's sometimes also useful to keep the remains if
everything was apparently successfull, but it's far less important imo.

To me it sounds like we shouldn't use a randomly generated temporary
name, but rather a static mapping based on the test's path or such, to
create the relevant temp directory.  Before a start a test could then
clean that up, that way the amount of remaining cruft would be bound by
the number of tests.

Greetings,

Andres Freund