Re: [HACKERS] Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 18 Apr 2017 14:58:50 +0900, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote in
<CAD21AoBqSjUGx0LCDrjEDLB-yx2EvgLMdT8Nz4ZR_xpxrbMU+Q@mail.gmail.com>
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Attached two draft patches. The one makes pg_stat_replication.sync
> >> priority report NULL if in quorum-based sync replication. To prevent
> >> extra change I don't change so far the code of setting standby
> >> priority. The another one improves the comment and documentation. If
> >> there is more thing what we need to mention in documentation please
> >> give me feedback.
> >
> > Attached is the modified version of the doc improvement patch.
> > Barring any objection, I will commit this version.
>
> Thank you for updating the patch.
>

> > +    In term of performance there is difference between two synchronous
> > +    replication method. Generally quorum-based synchronous replication
> > +    tends to be higher performance than priority-based synchronous
> > +    replication. Because in quorum-based synchronous replication, the
> > +    transaction can resume as soon as received the specified number of
> > +    acknowledgement from synchronous standby servers without distinction
> > +    of standby servers. On the other hand in priority-based synchronous
> > +    replication, the standby server that the primary server must wait for
> > +    is fixed until a synchronous standby fails. Therefore, if a server on
> > +    low-performance machine a has high priority and is chosen as a
> > +    synchronous standby server it can reduce performance for database
> > +    applications.
> >
> > This description looks misleading. A quorum-based sync rep is basically
> > more efficient when there are multiple standbys in s_s_names and you want
> > to replicate the transactions to some of them synchronously. I think that
> > this assumption should be documented explicitly. So I modified this
> > description. Please see the modified version in the attached patch.
>
> You're right. The modified version looks good to me, thanks.

It looks better to me, too. But (even I'm not sure, of course)
the sentences seem to need improvement.

|    <para>
|     Quorum-based synchronous replication is basically more
|     efficient than priority-based one when you specify multiple
|     standbys in <varname>synchronous_standby_names</> and want
|     to synchronously replicate transactions to two or more of
|     them. In the priority-based case, the replication master
|     must wait for a reply from the slowest standby in the
|     required number of standbys in priority order, which may
|     slower than the rest.  On the other hand, quorum-based
|     synchronous replication may reduce the latency because it
|     allows transactions to wait only for replies from a
|     required number of fastest standbys in all the listed
|     standbys, i.e., such slow standby doesn't block
|     transactions.
|  </para>

I'm not sure that this is actually an improvement..

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center